1098-T Frequently Asked Questions

What is a 1098-T?

The 1098-T form is a tuition statement. It is an information return that colleges and universities are required to furnish to students to assist them in determining their eligibility for the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning education credits or Tuition and Fees deduction.

Where can I find additional information concerning the education credits?

For information about the deduction or credit, see Publication 970. Tax Benefits for Education, Form 8863 Education Credits, Form 8917, Tuition and Fees Deduction, and the instructions for Form 1040 or 1040A. These can all be found on the Internal Revenue Service website.

Did you send a copy of this form to the IRS?

Yes, Appalachian State University is required to send a copy of the 1098-T to the IRS.

Do I file form 1098-T with my tax return?

No, keep it for your records. You are not required to attach it to your return since ASU furnishes a copy to the IRS. The information on the statement will help you determine if you can claim an education credit or tuition deduction. The amounts on Form 1098-T may not be the same amounts you will use to prepare your return.

Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?

Institutions are not required to furnish a 1098-T to non-resident aliens (unless requested by the student) and students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants.

Whom do I contact for assistance in the review of the College-provided information?

For additional information about the amounts on Form 1098-T, call the Student Account Office at 828-262-2113. For information about the deduction or credit see "Where can I find additional information about the education credits" above.

How can I get a copy of my 1098-T?

If you need a copy of your 1098-T information the most convenient way is to log into your AppalNet account and view and print your 1098-T information from there.

The Social Security number, name or address on my 1098-T is not correct, what should I do?

Please contact the Registrar's Office to submit the appropriate changes for your name and address. To update your Social Security number, complete an IRS Form W-9S and bring it along with your Social Security card in person to the Registrar's Office. You will be required to show your social security card for verification purposes. Also, please notify the Student Accounts Office immediately of any errors so we may correct your 1098T.